Is your home feeling a bit cramped these days? After spending much of the spring at home, many homeowners are having the same thought. We either need to move or add space!
For a family who loves where they live, a home addition is a perfect solution. As with any home remodeling project, there are a few things to think about before starting the process.
- What kind of space do you really need? For example, needing more space for occasional entertaining is different than needing space to make your day-to-day life more efficient.
- Will your addition be year-round or just for three-season use? The kind of ductwork and HVAC requirements will vary dramatically for heating and cooling.
- Placement of lighting, windows, doors and eventually furniture or cabinets are things you will need to consider well before the first hammer swings. Consulting an interior design expert can save time and money when hired at early in a project.
- Chose the right contractor for you! Not all contractors will fit with your vision, but all should be licensed and reputable. Do your homework by checking their reviews, viewing past projects, and conducting interviews.
- Get the correct permits. A licensed contractor typically submits the plans and secures permits for your project, but ultimately you as the homeowner will be responsible for the work done when it comes time to sell your home. Unpermitted work in a home can be a deal breaker.
A home addition, done right, can add value pocketbook and joy to your life. By taking a few extra steps during your planning stages can pay off in a big way in the end.
No matter what you need your extra space for, we can help you build it. Contact Kane Builders today to start the process.